The Diamond League management have officially announced the list of events on the programme for the 15th Silesia Kamila Skolimowska Memorial on 25 August 2024. The event organisers are now able to reveal the first names, Femke Bol and Armand Duplantis are due to come back to the Silesian Stadium. – This is the strongest announcement in the history of the meeting – joyously stated Marek Plawgo, communications director of the event.
After the great reactions to the 2023 edition of the Diamond League, at which two year’s best marks were set, the bar set for the Silesia Kamila Skolimowska Memorial organisers has been raised once again. Last year, Silesia placed second in World Athletics’ ranking of meetings and the terrific spectacle was watched by the third-largest audience of the entire series. In a poll conducted by Pentagon Research, 95 per cent of the audience stated the competition was a great experience. The athletes and officials, filling out the traditional questionnaires, gave „Kama” an average rating of 9.16 on a ten-point scale. In accordance with the methodology of the poll, the mark translates to „excellent”. Suffice to say 17 athletes who wenr on to win world titles in Budapest were present at last year’s edition. Medalists from the Hungarian capital could be seen in 18 out of 19 events on the programme.
One of them was Natalia Kaczmarek.
– Running in the Silesian Stadium is an honour. There is no better meeting than this one. It usually ends well for me and it is here than I set my PB. Who knows what the next season will bring – said the World Championship 400 metre runner-up.
The attitude is shared by Ewa Swoboda. Last year, the fastest Polish woman ran to the first sub-11 second performance of her career.
– I remember when I walked out into the stadium, I was lost for words. It was so loud! When you are an athlete, this is what you want. I am awaiting a repeat of both the atmosphere in the stands and my form – said the World Championship sixth-placed runner hopefully.
Diamond League to come back to Silesia on 25 August..
In early June, the Diamond League management approved the calendar and assigned events to every meeting host. The Silesia Kamila Skolimowska Memorial will feature all the events in which Polish athlets are a part of the world’s elite. It is a guarantee for the fans purchasing tickets that they will see in action Polish Olympic medalists, world and European champions. Swoboda and Kaczmarek are only the initial announcements.
We now know the next edition of the competition in the Silesian Stadium will include women’s 100, 400 and 1500 metre races, 100 and 400 metres hurdles, as well as triple jump and javelin throw. The men will compete in the 200, 800 and 3000 metres and 3000 metres steeplechase, high jump, pole vault and shot put.
– That is only a list of the diamond events. They are important, but to us, given who the meeting in named after, the most significant one will once again be the hammer throw – reiterated Piotr Małachowski, sports director of the meeting.
Top-class throws by Paweł Fajdek, Wojciech Nowicki and Malwina Kopron have become a mainstay of the events dedicated to Kamila Skolimowska.
– We are happy that Armand Duplantis’ parrticipation is becoming another tradition, It is a great pleasure to inform that the world record holder and world’s top athlete will once again attempt to clear record heights in August of 2024 – cofirmed the communications director Marek Plawgo. He added that the organisers have also signed a deal with Femke Bol. – It is hard to imagine a better initial announcement of star names. It shows where we are as a meeting – Plawgo stated.
Bol, who became the world champion at 400 metres hurdles in Budapest, had yet another phenomenal year. It started with her setting an indoor world record over the flat distance with 49.26. Outdoors, the Dutchwoman continued her streak over the barriers. In July, she took her personal best to 51.45, a time which was beyond the reach of all women in history just a few years ago. Bol now owns eight out of 20 best marks of all time, including the European record.
– Since next year’s „Kama” will take place after the Paris Olympics, her list of achievements might be even longer by then – Małachowski observed.
The same can be said of Duplantis. Although at the age of 24 the Swede has already won all major titles, he is hungry for more. His world title in Budapest was not underlined by a world record (just as his Olympic title in Tokyo), but he went on to clear a new global mark of 6.23 at the Diamond League final in Eugene.
– I first saw the Silesian stadium on TV, then I heard a lot of good things about it from other athletes. Now I am certain it’s a good place to jump high. I am really looking forward to come back and meet my fans in Silesia. I will do my best to put on a show and again hope for the same great support from the nice and enthusiastic Polish spectators – Duplantis commented.
It is now possible to purchase tickets on the eBilet.pl site to ensure a place in the stands to watch the competition between the Swede and his rivals from your preferred seat. You will also be able to see the exploits of Femke Bol, Natalia Kaczmarek The 2024 Diamond League ticket prices start at 20.50 zloty.and Ewa Swoboda on the track.
The 2024 Diamond League ticket prices start at 20.50 zloty.